Cauliflowers are their creamy best in winter and are perfect for this Silky Cauliflower and Leek Soup. It's the most delicious way to warm up this winter. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and plant-based, it's an easy way to get your veggies in!
It's all about an easy soup for winter
Sydney is currently in its second pandemic lockdown, which is nothing compared to other cities like Melbourne. Nevertheless, I think we could all do with easy, healthy comfort food. This Cauliflower soup really delivers.
To make the soup, we just need to soften and lightly brown our leeks in oil, steam the cauliflower then blend! Then we add some roasted hazelnuts and crispy sage to finish. A delicious, easy, home-cooked meal is always welcome.
Looking for some more winter cooking inspiration?
You will LOVE all of these ideas. I'd love to know what you try.
Here are some other genius ideas for cauliflower
Silky Cauliflower and Leek Soup with Crispy Sage and Roasted Hazelnuts
- Skillet or frypan
- Blender or food processor
- Baking tray
- Chopping board and kitchen knife
- Measuring cup and spoons
- ¾ large cauliflower (or one medium)
- 2 leeks (white part only)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cooking salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons gelatin powder (makes the soup even creamier and provides important amino acids. Not vegan or vegetarian)
- 1 bunch sage leaves (picked)
- ⅔ cup hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F. Once ready, roast the hazelnuts for 20 minutes, check on them at the 10 minute mark and move them around. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- White hazelnuts are roasting, prep/cook the other ingredients. Discard outer layer and end of the leek, wash dirt off and slice in to thin rounds. Wash and cut the cauliflower in to large floretsOver medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the oil and the leeks. Cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. They are ready when soft and lightly brown.While the leeks are cooking - steam the cauliflower until just soft. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients except garnish, with 1 tbsp oil, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of remaining oil in a small frypan on medium heat - add the sage leaves and crisp them up without burning. Set aside.
- Roughly chop hazelnuts for garnish. Re-heat soup, serve w/garnishes.