dairy free, paleo, vegan option \
This is Matcha butter or buttercream - perfect for spreading on delicious brioche-style bread or as the icing on cakes or cupcakes. Or, you could eat it straight from the jar...I won't tell anyone 🙂
In this picture, I made the grain+gluten-free challah by Zenbelly and it paired perfectly with the Matcha butter.
For a high quality matcha, I recommend Kenko Tea, a brand from Melbourne. Using a high quality matcha makes a world of difference to the taste without much bitterness.
- 60 g cacao butter
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons honey or rice syrup
- 270 mL full fat coconut cream 1 small tin of Ayam brand
- 1 ¾ -2 teaspoons high quality matcha powder
- Over a double boiler set to medium heat, add cacao butter and honey to the mixing bowl. Once melted, stir well with a whisk and remove from the heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slowly add in the coconut cream and blend with the hand mixer. It's important that the cacao and honey mixture (Step 1) and the coconut cream
- Next, slowly add in the matcha powder and whisk until completely dissolved. Tilt the bowl from side to side and scrape down the sides so that any clumps are mixed in thoroughly. Keep mixing right until you are ready to pour in to a container and ensure there are no clumps of matcha powder. Pro tip: it can help to pour in to a measuring jug with a spout before pouring in to your container for storage.
- Pour in to a container and allow to cool completely, uncovered, at room temperature
- Store in the fridge or the freezer. When ready to use, allow to come to room temperature. This will mean it can be easily spread or piped on to cakes or cupcakes.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 3 months.