gluten free, vegan, paleo, dairy free \
I regularly mind other people's precious kitty cats and when I arrived to mind my friend Sally's two adorable Devon Rex cats, I noticed that since I'd brought a few avocados and Sally had left some for me to use, that I'd need to use them up quick smart. Guacamole was the obvious choice, but as it is still winter here, I decided I'd like to create a subtle soup pairing avocado with leek. Nothing like giving the brain a bit of a creative workout to yield some silky, delicious results. This Silky Avocado and Leek soup can be served either heated or chilled during the summer months.
For a vegan option, omit the proscuitto and use a non-dairy fat to cook the leek and mushrooms.
Silky Avocado and Leek Soup
- 1 leek sliced in to thin rounds (discard most of the green)
- 1 tablespoon light-tasting olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 litre 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- To serve
- 6 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 slices of prosciutto cut in to small pieces and crisped in a pan (optional - omit for vegan)
- Put the oil in to a frying pan and soften the leek over low heat for 10 minutes, being careful not to brown or burn. It should be quite soft when it's done.
- Remove leek from the pan and put aside to cool.
- Place leek in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the avocado flesh and coconut cream in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the stock and salt to the blender and blend until everything is thoroughly combined.
- When ready to serve, pour the soup from the blender in to a saucepan, heat over low-medium heat, stirring frequently and being careful not to overheat.
- At the same time as heating the soup, brown the mushrooms and crisp the proscuitto in a frypan with some oil or other fat.
- When the soup has reached the desired heat, check for taste and adjust with salt if necessary.
- Serve garnished with mushrooms and proscuitto and with some crusty bread.
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.