gluten free, paleo, vegan option, egg free, grain free, dairy free \
These cookies might just be the ultimate comfort cookie for the health conscious food-lover - they contain the antioxidant matcha, high protein from the almonds and the right balance of salt and sweetness. They're also egg free - good news for those that can't or don't eat eggs. Lastly, they are very easy to put together, like most of my recipes. I tend towards being borderline lazy in the kitchen, I prefer my recipes to be simple and to let the ingredients themselves do the talking.
Matcha Pistachio Cookies
- 160 g almond meal
- 3 teaspoons cooking grade matcha powder
- generous pinch fine sea salt optional
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 4 US/UK tbsp 3 AU tbsp coconut oil**
- 2 tablespoons raw pistachios crushed or cut into smaller pieces and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, matcha powder and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the honey and coconut oil together in a saucepan or in the microwave. Stir thoroughly with a whisk to mix together.
- Make a well in the bowl from Step 1, and then pour in the honey-oil mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Line a baking tray with parchment (baking) paper. Use 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each cookie, making a small ball and placing each ball on the tray.
- Pick up a generous pinch of the pistachios and push in to the centre of one of the cookie balls.
- Flatten further using a butter knife and shape in to a circle shape. Tidy up cracked edges (and the overall shape) using the knife around the edge and with your fingers.
- Repeat the above step for remaining cookies.
- Cook for 8 minutes, then turn the tray and bake for another 2-4 minutes, until edges are a very light brown.
- Remove from the baking tray immediately, being very careful not to break them. Place on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. These can also be frozenm for up to 3 months.
- Equipment: mixing bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, baking sheet, parchment/baking paper, butter knife, chopping board and knife
- Use rice syrup for vegan option
- Refined coconut oil will give a more neutral flavour, but unrefined can also be used