low sugar, dairy free, gluten free \
It’s no secret that the popular chocolate hazelnut spread Nutella contains a LOT of sugar. It’s hard to see how it can be considered a chocolate hazelnut spread considering how little of those two ingredients it has!
I’ve also not yet been impressed by any of the “healthier” options available in stores – they either have a strange taste and texture from the inclusion of rice malt syrup (incidentally, this is not healthier than honey) or they still have minimal hazelnut content.
Not to worry, I have created a recipe that has minimal added sugar, but is irresistibly chocolately and crunchy. Forget crunchy peanut butter, crunchy chocolate hazelnut spread is even better!
This spread is perfect with some brioche, challah or even for dipping a biscuit in to for an afternoon pick me up.
Crunchy Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 250 g hazelnuts
- 1/3 C cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons raw or brown sugar use more if a sweeter taste is desired
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil or refined coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 165C/330F and then roast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. If desired, you can remove most of the skins by wrapping the hot nuts in a clean tea towel for a few minutes and then rubbing the skins off with the towel.
- Place the hazelnuts in the bowl of a food processor/high speed blender and blend for 5 seconds, then remove and reserve 2 tablespoons.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the reserved hazelnut pieces) in to the food processor and blend for a few minutes. Use a spatula to get any stray ingredients from the base and sides of the processor and then blend again for another minute.
- Remove the mixture from the processor/blender and pour in to a clean glass jar. Add in the reserved hazelnuts and mix together using a spoon in the jar.
- Storage: Will keep at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.